Cisco SMARTnet Service is an award-winning technical support service that offers direct, anytime access to Cisco engineers and an extensive range of technical resources. SMARTnet delivers rapid issue resolution, flexible device-by-device coverage, and premium service options to help maximize operational efficiency.
Extend the Life of Your Network Assets
As your network grows and changes in response to business
demands, Cisco® Technical Support Services help to
accelerate your success. This flexible suite of Cisco
support services is designed to meet your individual
business needs and assist you in effectively managing your
network services while controlling operational costs.
Whether you require reliable day-to-day network support or
immediate resolution of critical issues, Cisco Technical
Support Services can be the trusted resource you can rely on
to help you meet those business needs.
Award-Winning Service and Support
Cisco Technical Assistance Center
Available on the Web or by telephone, highly skilled Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) engineers, including certified and CCIE® professionals, are among the best in the industry, offering:
- Superior expertise in a broad range of technologies
- Knowledge transfer resources to enhance your skills
- Sophisticated call routing to the right experts
- Cisco live collaborative sessions
- Global support available in local languages
This award-winning, industry-leading online support and information system includes interactive consulting tools, a comprehensive database, and knowledge transfer resources. Cisco.com is your access to the robust set of Cisco technical tools and product information, which increases self-sufficiency and builds in-house expertise for improved productivity.
Online troubleshooting tools and support resources include:
- Software Advisor—Features information and compatibility assistance
- TAC Case Collection—Identifies and troubleshoots common problems
- My Tech Support—Personalized Webpage with customized links
- Output Interpreter—Provides problem resolution recommendations
- Peer-to-peer online forums—Sharing with others in your industry
- Technical Support Newsletter—Keeps you up-to-date
SMARTnet Q & A
Q: What is Cisco® SMARTnet® support?
A: As part of Cisco Technical Support Services, the Cisco SMARTnet and SMARTnet Onsite programs offer innovative
customer solution services that provide enhancement and
maintenance support resources during the operational
lifetime of a Cisco Systems® network.
What is included with Cisco SMARTnet support?
A: Cisco SMARTnet support includes:
- Software support on the licensed operating system software, such as Cisco IOS® Software or Cisco Catalyst® OS, for covered Cisco products, including maintenance, minor, and major releases
- Access to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Registered access to Cisco.com, for easy access to online technical information and service request management
- Advance replacement of hardware
parts, depending on the customer need and the
24x7x2—Advanced replacement parts, with or without a field engineer, are delivered within 2 hours of determining that part replacement is required during a standard work week (24 hours per day, 7 days per week).
24x7x4—Advanced replacement parts, with or without a field engineer, are delivered within 4 hours of determining that part replacement is required during a standard work week (24 hours per day, 7 days per week).
8x5x4—Advanced replacement parts, with or without a field engineer, are delivered within 4 hours of determining that part replacement is required during a standard work week (8 hours per day, 5 days per week).
Next business day (NBD)—Advanced replacement parts, with or without a field engineer, are delivered the next business day between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (provided the request is received before 3 p.m. local depot time).
Q: Why should a customer buy Cisco SMARTnet support or
Cisco SMARTnet Onsite support?
A: By covering networking devices with a Cisco SMARTnet
or Cisco SMARTnet Onsite contract,
a customer can:
- Maximize network availability, reliability, and stability
- Reduce the cost of network ownership by using Cisco expertise, knowledge, and availability
- Increase return on investment (ROI) by having access to Cisco operating system software enhancements
- Expedite time to repair with the right parts at the right time to resolve issues quickly
- Better manage scarce internal expert resources at all locations
- Improve productivity and revenue per employee with
access to tools and technical support documentation that
can increase self-sufficiency and technical knowledge
Q: Are Cisco SMARTnet support and
Cisco SMARTnet Onsite support just break/fix insurance?
A: No. The
Cisco SMARTnet and SMARTnet Onsite programs offer customers
much more than remedies for when something goes wrong. Only
a small portion of service requests (less than
5 percent) coming into the Cisco TAC deal with failures and defects. Most service requests help customers handle complex network operation and management issues such as:
- Advanced software configuration
- Interoperability and upgrade questions
- Hardware and software information
In addition, the Cisco SMARTnet and SMARTnet Onsite programs help customers protect their network investments and minimize risks by:
- Keeping the customer’s networking technology up-to-date with the latest software features and system improvements
- Supplementing the customer’s network support organization to help ensure the availability of the knowledge and skills necessary to address rapidly changing technologies
- Gaining access to knowledgeable resources and tools for rapid resolution of issues
- Eliminating the challenges of carrying replacement hardware in inventory and delivering them to remote sites by making replacement parts available when needed
- Providing trained field engineering resources to
perform replacement services when and where needed
Q: If a product is already covered under the standard
Cisco warranty, why should a customer buy Cisco SMARTnet
services during the warranty duration?
A: The Cisco SMARTnet and
SMARTnet Onsite programs provide more robust levels of
support than are available under a Cisco warranty (Table 1).
For most products, Cisco warranties are limited in duration
(detailed specifically by product type), whereas Cisco
SMARTnet programs can be purchased to deliver support and
maintenance for at least five years after first product
shipment. Services available under a
Cisco SMARTnet service contract that are not covered under a warranty are:
- Rapid replacement of hardware in NBD, 4-hour, or 2-hour dispatch options (restrictions apply; see Cisco SMARTnet data sheet below for additional information)
- Continuous technical support through Cisco TAC
- Latest software updates
- Registered access to Cisco.com
Table 1: Cisco SMARTnet Compared to Warranty
|Application software coverage duration||No||90 Days||No|
|Technical support from TAC||Yes||No||No|
|Maintenance releases for OS||Yes||90 Days||90 Days|
|Minor and major releases for OS||Yes||No||No|
|Software application maintenance & minor releases||No||No||No|
|Software application major releases||No||No||No|
|Signature file updates||No||No||No|
|Registered access to Cisco.com||Yes||No||No|
|Parts replacement||Next business||RTF(10 days)||RTF(10 days)|
1-Year Limited hardware
**Fans and power supplies limited to five years
Related Links & Resources